The Native Sons of the Golden West has established funds to help preserve projects related to California History.
Last year they helped fund the restoration of two pioneer cemeteries.
Ramona Parlor members are very interested in reaching out to local historical societies and small community museums to help them preserve their local history.
Toward that end, we have established a $500 mini-grant program to help struggling local history organizations manage their collections and help make them more accessible to the general public.
Non profit organizations located in Los Angeles County with operating income less than $25,000 per year may qualify.
Ramona Parlor #109 was chartered on June 9, 1887. It is the second largest parlor in southern California and the only one that owns and operates its own community museum.
The Ramona Museum of California History was first opened in 1972 on Figueroa in Highland Park. The Museum offers an eclectic collection of artifacts and relics saved by its members since before the turn of the last century. Since many of its members werte some of the early movers and shakers in Los Angeles, the collection becomes especially interesting and valuable. Visitrs can view a spring of edelweiss picked in 1603 that had been circulated in circus tents and sideshows in Eurpoe, slippers, combs and spurs used during the mid-1880's, artifacts and photos from the 1906 San Francisco earthquake and fire, unpublished photographs of Teddy Roosevelt and his Rough Riders and an original "booking log" from the early 1900's.